Saturday, November 15, 2014

Sunshine Sweet Potatoes for Two

Growing up, I never liked sweet potatoes. The other day, a friend gave us a sack full of organic sweet potatoes from his farm, and I thought it was high time I learned to like 'em! I cooked them the way I cook regular potatoes and turnips-- with onions and eggs! At first, this may sound like a strange combination, but they compliment each other nicely.

For potatoes, you will need:
2 large sweet potatoes
4 tbsp. olive oil
1/2  tsp. sage
1/2 tsp. white pepper (black works too!)
1/2 tsp. salt 
1 tsp. garlic powder 
1/2 white onion

For the eggs, you will need:
2 large eggs
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 pinches Mediterranean spices

To start:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F. 
2. Wash and chop the sweet potatoes into small chunks, and put them aside in a bowl. Dice the white onion and put it with sweet potatoes. Toss them together with 4 tbsp. of olive oil.
3. Next, the spices (salt, pepper, sage, & garlic powder) need to be tossed in. You may want to combine them together first, to get sufficient coverage. 
4. Pour the potatoes and onions into a pan (I used my skillet,) and use a rubber spatula to get all the spice and oil out of the bowl. 
5. Bake for 25 minutes. Halfway through, shuffle the potatoes and onions around in the pan and turn them over. Be sure that the potatoes are crispy!
6. Fry the eggs during the last 5 or 6 minutes of the potatoes baking. The way I like to fry egg is by letting a tablespoon of olive oil get hot in my pan. Then I crack the egg into the hot oil and sprinkle a pinch of Mediterranean seasonings while the egg is still uncooked. Just leave the egg on the heat to cook through. Move the pan around so the whites are fully cooked. 
7. Divide the potato mixture in half into two bowls, and put an egg on top of each.










I've done this with and without the onions, and it's great either way! The runny egg yolk compliments the sweet potatoes so well! It's a great, southern breakfast dish to enjoy on a chilly autumn morning!

Happy cooking!




No comments:

Post a Comment